Friday, December 14, 2012

After getting settled in, between poking and prodding, MK and I came up with lists of things that had to be accomplished and in what priority.

Timing is everything, and because of my declining health and not being sure what would happen with the business, we had let all the office production assistants go after Fleet Week 2012, Angela being the last to go around the first of December.
Oops. Even in the first hours of this, it became clear that we would need some help, and the PAs were the first choice.

With the simple text:

Andy to Leah: "Have a second?"

Leah was launched into an project that kept her busy until the following July.

First of was to cancel some upcoming appointments. One of these was dental, and that would turn into a big problem in a few months.

The room was fine, nothing fancy, but completely adequate. The restroom was about 5 steps away on my left, the door to the room on my right. There was a window that looked out into a garden area off to my far left. There was a TV mounted on the wall across from the bed. The view from my bed through the room door happened to line up with the door at the south end of the hallway. This meant that will all the doors open you could see from my bed straight out almost to the lobby and I am sure in the right position I could almost see El Camino. A little more privacy was in order, and so started the battle of the curtain. I flat out insisted that the curtain be drawn between the bed and the door at all times. This was not an easy transition for some of the staff, but they adapted.

MK made a run back to the office and brought my computer and personal supplies.

A trip to Xray, meds and dinner rounded out the hospital activity for the day. By early evening MK had set up the computer on the overbid table. Kaiser SSF has WIFI all over the place and I had connectivity!

That morning a friend from Annapolis sent me an email that long time friend Gary had passed away that morning, cancer. MK sent me a photo of Sophie taken that night.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

First overnight was ok, but the schedule is not necessary compatible with the patient getting any sleep. Every few hours the RN would appear to take vitals. Hospitals are not always quiet places and I quickly learned that having the room door closed overnight was the right answer.

The morning routine started at 05:00. Since my room was at the end of the hall, I was the first hit for the morning blood draw, every morning. Meds and breakfast, all that normal stuff. Breathing OK with not trying to do anything, 8L/min.

IV put in on Friday, pumping in steroids for 24 hours, seems to have not really been in the vein, so my left arm is puffed up and turning pretty colors. IV being reinstalled.

During the day I emailed Riki & Graham let them know what was up.
The email to Graham:
I have achieved connectivity!

    High dose steroids IV. No side effects yet.
    Do all hospitals have blue starfish crawling on the ceilings?

Graham replied:
"well, you sound cognizant....

you only have to worry about the starfish if they turn into purple
clovers or dinosaurs …."

Little did we know there would indeed be some hallucinations in the future.

MK made copies of computer files that I would need and brought them to me. I sent her another list of goodies to bring and arrived in early afternoon, stayed for quite a while. We had discussed if she needed to stay overnight the first night. She had stayed with me all night when I had the lung biopsy in 2010, but we both felt it would not be necessary this time. I already know this was going to end quickly or turn into a long project, and MK getting rest would be a priority.

Views: 70


You need to be a member of to add comments!


Comment by Andy on December 17, 2013 at 4:33pm

Thanks David, I just hit my 10 month mark on the transplant, which was Feb 8, 2012. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Comment by David on December 16, 2013 at 8:01am

Andy ,  just wanted to congratulate you on year 1 of your txplnt,  I wish you all the best of health and a long life ahead . god speed ,  have a wonderfull  holiday season ! 

Comment by Andy on December 16, 2013 at 1:20am

Hi KB,

Thanks for the words of support. I am writing this account of what happened last year, day by day. I first went into the hospital on December 14, 2012, and posted the first part of the story on Dec 14, 2013. 


Comment by Kidneyboy on December 15, 2013 at 10:54pm

Hi Andy,

I do so fondly remember the routine of being admitted, only because my recent stay has ended and the memory of all those who helped me was stronger (and happier)  than the struggle to get rest.  Part of the reason hospitals are not fun is that they are geared for ease of access and not patient comfort.   I hope you can set aside these annoyances and find a routine that agrees with you. I also hope to hear of improvement in your health.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Take care and Happy Holidays.

KB (Norm)

© 2014   Created by Hostess Risé.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service