Just a few hours after I posted the first message, I got the call from Methodist Hospital that they had a lung for me (I was the primary candidate).  Pegi and I took off for Houston and made it from Lake Conroe to the Medical Center in 1hr and 10 min.  That's flying folks.  Got IV'ed up and ready to go when they came in and told me that I my anitbodies reacted against the donor organ.  For those not inside the transplant loop, this is not something you want.  So they turned me loose and sent me home.  I hate to miss the opportunity for a lung because I don't know how long it will be until I get a second chance, but I definitely do not want a lung and then suffer severe rejection.  So now it's back to waiting.  This will also give me time to get the plasmaphoresis treatment I need to get the PRA count down.  God has a way of completing things in His own time, not mine.  This frustrates me to no end, but I still trust Him.

Views: 145


You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Comment by david on March 29, 2012 at 12:53pm
It happened to me also, I got called to IU Hospital, Indpls. for a
liver transplant. I went thru all the testing and waiting, and then
found out the liver was too fatty. I got another call 4 days later,
so back to the hospital. More testing and waiting. I was a back up
in case the first reciepent didn't work out, they did so I was sent
home. It's a long wait when you think you think your going to get
such an important operation.Four days later about 7oclock at nite,
another call , so back to the hospital. One good thing, we only live
about 20 minutes from the hospital. I went thru all the testing again,
and started waiting. About 11 oclock they said I could go home and
wait. An hour after my wife and I got and asleep, the nurse called
and said to be at the hospital by 1:30 am. When we got there they
started getting me preped for surgery. At 4:30 I was gettig wheeled
into operating room. At 10:30 I was in the recovery room with a
healthy liver in me, and 24" cut across my stomach. Five and half
months later I'm doing good. The third time was a charm!
Comment by Kathleen on March 29, 2012 at 10:18am

I empathize with you Robert...the same thing happened to me. We are warned this does happen, but it is something erlse to experience that! It is an experience i will not forget.....the anticipation, nerves and all the emotions of knowing you will get transplant and then the letdown and disappointment when you find out it's a no go, but of course that all becomes unimportant compared to getting a lung/lungs that are not good or not a match for you.  It's back to waiting for the right time!


Comment by Rita on February 13, 2012 at 8:15am

It is so hard to be called in and so excited and then to be sent home. You will get your lungs, hang in there (although it is hard) as you said God has a plan. His/Her time is not always on our time. I always feel he has to move things around, so everyone has his blessings. Wishing you the best.

Comment by Sandy on February 11, 2012 at 10:35pm

I had a dry run for my heart as well.  It is better to get the good match!  It is in God's hands and in his time.  Faith will get you through it!  Waiting is the hardest part in my opinion!


Comment by Sandra Barber Hughes on February 11, 2012 at 9:42pm

Robert - I am so sorry, we also had a call for our organ, except ours was a liver and we rushed to the hospital as well.  My husband suffered through all the testing, IV's, everything just to tell him that one of his liver levels was too high for the transplant and this one would not work out.  It actually did work out for the better - We got a call a month later from a different hospital with a wonderful transplant team.  Things have a way of working out.  Hang in there!  

Comment by Gilly on February 11, 2012 at 1:04pm

Hang in there, i went through 3 calls, it will happen when all is good, trust your tx team.

Keep u im my thoughts!

Comment by Kristy on February 9, 2012 at 8:57pm

Good luck!  I can only imagine the frustration.  I was at the hospital almost 24 hours before that actually did my pancreas transplant.  They told me I'd be in surgery 10 hours after arriving.  They wheeled me down 23 hours later.  The whole time I was waiting they kept reminding me that they have the last say, and could always turn the organ away and cancel the transplant.  I think i would have cried!  But you are right, it all happens for a reason. . .and a better match, and a healthier you awaits!  Best wishes!!!

Comment by Neil on February 8, 2012 at 10:27pm

Robert, I appreciate you're sharing this dry run.  I am listed only 4 months for a double lung and am number two on the list, so I imagine it will be awhile.  I have thought that a last minute cancellation would be very frustrating, but you are so right, better safe than sorry.

Comment by Hostess Risé on February 8, 2012 at 2:01pm

Hi Robert

I am sorry you had a dry run. I had one too. IT is a good thing they found out about your antibodies so they can treat you now.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care


Comment by buzzerxl1 on February 8, 2012 at 12:36pm

Dear Robert,

                   Life sometimes can be so hard, but as you said perhaps God has a  better lung for you just round the corner. I went to the hospial five times for my liver transplant and was turned away for all sorts of reasons too fatty antibodies etc, but now I have a great new liver working perfectly that was approx 2 years ago. You're right God does move in mysterious ways.

Good luck my friend and you just hang in there my thoughts and prayers are with you.

All will be well.

Regards Peter.

© 2014   Created by Hostess Risé.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service